October 20, 2010
Hello Boston Vegetarian Society,
Our 15th Annual Boston Vegetarian Food Festival is coming up soon! We hope you will be with us for as much of the weekend as possible on Oct. 30 & 31.
The volunteer response has been fantastic. Thank you one and all! One last need is for a volunteer videographer with a tripod and a video cam to project the cooking classes onto big screens. Hit reply if you can help!
1) Have you seen our list of speakers and chefs? Something for everyone, we hope!
2) These next 10 days are prime time for postering and leafleting at school, gym, library, office. A new flier and leaflet, updated with the speaker schedule, can be printed from here:
3) If you haven't seen our colorful subway and bus ads, click to enlarge the thumbnail here:
4) On Monday we did a 25 minute interview and took call-ins on Martha Stewart Living Radio. We'll be doing Sunday Morning Review on WBZ radio, and the Pat Whitley Restaurant Show on WRKO.
We'll be featured with a photo in the Improper Bostonian, "G" section of the Boston Globe, the Patriot Ledger (South Shore), MetroWest News, Boston Herald, and other media, as well as a feature in the largest circulation newspaper in Israel. (How they heard about it we don't know, but they called us!)
Bus from Maine!
5) The Maine Animal Coalition is organizing a deluxe bus to the Festival! It will depart Portland at 8:00 a.m. and return at 6:00 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 30. Just $25 round trip, and fun on board, no doubt!
President Clinton (almost) vegan!
6) If you missed seeing President Bill Clinton explain to Wolf Blitzer on CNN about his conversion to an almost entirely plant based diet, no meat or dairy, it is a great watch. Daughter Chelsea has been vegan for a long time, and now dad has made the change. He cites our 2009 and 2008 Food Festival speakers, Drs. Caldwell Esselstyn and T. Colin Campbell as influential in his change, aimed at reversing his heart disease. "I live on beans, legumes, vegetables, fruits... I drink almond milk..."
Blitzer then did a follow up with Drs. Esselstyn and Dean Ornish, also great to see:
Clinton joins ranks with notable vegans cited in "The Rise of the Power Vegan" in the October 2010 issue of Men's Journal -- super athletes Tony Gonzalez, Scott Jurek and Mike Tyson, and business leaders such as magazine editor/ publisher/ real estate billionaire Mort Zuckerman, Twitter Co-founder Biz Stone, and Whole Foods CEO John Mackey.
A bit of confirmed Las Vegas trivia: Casino/ real-estate developer Steve Wynn, credited with leading the resurgence of the Las Vegas Strip, became vegan in August 2010. He must be liking it -- he recently bought 10,000 copies of the pro-vegan DVD "Eating" and gave them to his employees to watch. We will have this DVD available at Food Fest at the BVS book table.
Lots of veg excitement in the air! Come be with us at the 15th Annual Boston Vegetarian Food Festival!